Full-Time | Main Campus
Oakland City University https://www.oak.edu is a Christian faith-based community dedicated to the enhancement of intellectual, spiritual, physical, and social development for positive leadership. This mission statement defines our every step as a university community and provides the basis for our search for the best and most qualified candidates for each open position we seek to fill.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position has been filled. This position will require a commitment to OCU’s “Life In Community” statement.
The successful applicant will have significant experience with marching/athletic bands at the high school and/or university level, including expertise/experience in drill design that encompasses a variety of styles. In addition, it is expected the successful candidate will possess a high level of musicianship, with excellent rehearsal technique and teaching skills, as well as exceptional administrative and leadership ability. This unique position will have the opportunity of starting the OCU marching band which will demand a dynamic leader, capable of leading the Mighty Oaks Band/Pep Band program into the future.
The university prefers educational experience and academic credentials which would allow for a faculty level appointment with teaching responsibilities in the area of music.
For the 2023-2024 academic year, the director will be responsible for building the program including equipment purchases, music purchases, uniform design, departmental structure, teaching, and recruitment of the students.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Marching band director experience at the high school or college level is required. Experience working within a higher education setting is preferred. Experience conducting and rehearsing a marching band program is required.
- Music teaching experience at the college level preferred.
- Recruiting experience preferred.
- Experience developing and maintaining working relationships with other departments and offices is required.
- Knowledge of financial management and budget experience is required.
- Provide direction for the Mighty Oaks Marching Band/Pep Bands and their performances at athletic games/competitions as well as on-campus and off-campus events.
- Lead the recruiting efforts for the Mighty Oaks Marching Band/Pep Band student members in coordination with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
- Collaborate with University Advancement Office to assist with and coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Teaching responsibilities in the area of music, if candidate possesses appropriate academic credentials.
- This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Student Life.
- This position will regularly require evening and weekend work, especially during football and basketball seasons.
- This position also requires some travel and coordination of student travel, travel for student recruitment, and travel for out-of-town games and appearances.
Salary commensurate with experience & qualifications.
Deadline to Apply:
Applicants will be reviewed and interviews held until the position is filled.
Apply at https://www.oak.edu/jobs/ocu-employment-application/
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level